Tuesday 12 Jumada al-ula 1444 - 6 December 2022
English

Is the supplication for looking in the mirror proven?

239755

Publication : 25-07-2022

Views : 2583

Question

What is the supplication for looking in the mirror? Is it “O Allah, You have made my physical appearance good, so make my manners and attitude good”?

Summary of answer

This hadith is da‘eef (weak) in all its isnaads, and all of them – except the hadith of Anas quoted above – are extremely weak. The view that it is hasan is not correct, because all its isnaads are flimsy. Al-Albaani classed it as da‘eef in al-Irwa’ (74), as did Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir al-Arnaa’oot in his commentary on al-Adhkaar (p. 304). But this hadith has been soundly narrated from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) in general terms, without any mention of looking in the mirror. Ahmad (24392), Abu Ya‘la (5075), at-Tayaalisi (372) and al-Bayhaqi in ash-Shu‘ab (8183) narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) used to say: “Allahumma ahsanta khalqi fa ahsin khuluqi (O Allah, You have made my physical appearance good, so make my manners and attitude good).” It was classed as saheeh by the commentators on al-Musnad, and also by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami‘ (1307).

Answer

Praise be to Allah.

This hadith was narrated by Ibn as-Sunni in ‘Amal al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah (163) via al-Husayn ibn Abi’s-Sariy: Muhammad ibn al-Fadl told us, from ‘Abd ar-Rahmaan ibn Ishaaq, from an-Nu‘maan ibn Sa‘d, from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allah be pleased with him), that when the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) saw his face in the mirror, he said: “Praise be to Allah. O Allah, as You have made my physical appearance good, make my manners and attitude good.”

This is a mawdoo‘ (fabricated) hadith. Ibn Abi’s-Sariy is a liar; he was classed as such by Abu ‘Uroobah and by his brother Muhammad.

See: Tahdheeb at-Tahdheeb (2/315).

‘Abd ar-Rahmaan ibn Ishaaq is matrook (rejected); he was rejected by Ahmad and others.

See: al-Mizaan (2/548).

It was also narrated by Abu Ya‘la (2611) and via him by Ibn as-Sunni in ‘Amal al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah (164): ‘Amr ibn Husayn told us: Yahya ibn al-‘Ala’ told us, from Safwaan ibn Sulaym, from ‘Ata’ ibn Yasaar, from Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) looked in the mirror, he said: “Praise be to Allah Who has made my physical appearance and my manners and attitude good, and has caused to look good in me that which He caused to look bad in others.”

Regarding Yahya ibn al-‘Ala’, Ahmad said: He is a liar who fabricates hadiths.

Al-Mizaan (4/397).

Regarding ‘Amr ibn al-Husayn, Abu Haatim said: His reports are worthless, and he is nothing. Ad-Daaraqutni said: He is matrook (rejected).

At-Tahdheeb (8/20).

It was also narrated by Abu’sh-Shaykh in Akhlaaq an-Nabi (527), and by Abu’l-Husayn al-Bazzaaz in Gharaa’ib Maalik (161), via Abaan ibn Sufyaan: Abu Hilaal told us, from Hishaam ibn ‘Urwah, from his father, from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her).

Regarding Abaan ibn Sufyaan, ad- Daaraqutni said: He is matrook (rejected).

Mizaan al-I‘tidaal (1/7).

It was also narrated by at-Tabaraani in al-Awsat (787), and by Ibn as-Sunni in ‘Amal al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah (165) via Salm ibn Qaadim, who said: Haashim ibn ‘Eesa al-Burri told us, from al-Haarith ibn Muslim, from az-Zuhri, from Anas ibn Maalik, who said: When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) saw his face in the mirror, he said: “Praise be to Allah, Who created me and made my shape good, and gave an image to my face and made it good, and made me one of the Muslims.”

Regarding Haashim ibn ‘Eesa, al-‘Aqeeli said: He is munkar al-hadith (his hadith is odd).

Ad-Du‘afa’ al-Kabeer (4/343).

Regarding al-Haarith ibn Muslim, ad-Daaraqutni said: He is majhool (unknown).

Lisaan al-Mizaan (2/160).

It was also narrated by al-Bayhaqi in ad-Da‘waat (489) via Maslamah: Hishaam ibn ‘Urwah told us, from his father, from ‘Aa’ishah.

Maslamah is the son of Muhammad ath-Thaqafi. Yahya ibn Ma‘een said: He is nothing.

It was also narrated by al-Mirwazi in Zawaa’id az-Zuhd (1174) via ‘Abdullah ibn al-Muthanna ibn Anas ibn Maalik, who said: A man from the family of Anas ibn Maalik told me that he heard Anas ibn Maalik say: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) would pick up the mirror, look in it and say: “Praise be to Allah Who has perfected my creation and made my image good, and has caused to look good in me that which He has caused to look bad in others.”

This is a da‘eef (weak) isnad, because the man who is not named is unknown.

It was also narrated by al-Bazzaar in his Musnad (7322) via Dawood ibn al-Muhabbir: ‘Abdullah ibn al-Muthanna told us, from Thumaamah, from Anas.

Ibn al- Muhabbir is to be rejected and is accused of lying.

See: al-Mizaan (2/20).

This hadith has other isnaads, all of which are da‘eef (weak) and none of them are saheeh (sound).

Was this answer helpful?

Source: Islam Q&A