Sunday 10 Thu al-Hijjah 1445 - 16 June 2024

Staying in a country where one cannot practise one’s religion openly.


What should the committed Muslim do if he is living in a non-Muslim country where he is obliged to shave his beard, not pray and to openly commit sin? If he leaves his family and his wealth, will that be counted as hijrah?


Praise be to Allah.

What the Muslim has to do is avoid staying in a country which calls him to that which Allah has forbidden, or obliges him to do such things, such as not praying, or shaving the beard, or committing sins such as zinaa or drinking wine. He has to leave this country, because it is an evil land and it is not permitted for him to stay there at all. He has to migrate from it, even if that means going against and disobeying his parents, because obedience to Allah takes priority, and obedience to parents is only with regard to good matters. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Obedience is only with regard to good things” and “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience to the Creator.” If a person cannot practise his religion openly or is forced to commit sin in any country, he has to migrate from that country.

Was this answer helpful?

Source:  Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 8, p. 278