Monday 18 Thu al-Hijjah 1445 - 24 June 2024

She got divorced overseas and the divorce papers are not recognized by the official department


A moslimah married a moslem at a mosque in Germany.
Then she was divorced and got a paper certifying her divorce.
When she tried to marry again with another moslem in an arabic country, the marriage authority there did not accept the divorce-paper because it did not include the names Of two witnesses.
Now this mosque in germany does not exist any more.
The man she married and was divorced from him has travelled away and she does not know his adress.
Question: What can be done so that she can marry again?


Praise be to Allah.

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah preserve him, who answered as follows:

Yes, she can marry outside the Islamic centre, but the marriage has to be conducted on her behalf by her walee (guardian) (along with all the other conditions of nikaah – see Question #2127). The final condition is that her ‘iddah (waiting period following divorce) should have ended. And Allaah knows best.

Was this answer helpful?

Source: Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid